Being Prepared for Hurricanes in Onslow County
As a part of Eastern North Carolina, many of the communities in Onslow County are on or near the water and affected by Carolina hurricane season. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, hurricane season on the Atlantic Coast officially runs from June 1 to November 30, with 97 percent of tropical cyclone activity falling within this period.
Although hurricanes can cause wind and water damage, there are a few things you can do to prepare for hurricanes in the Jacksonville area:
- Take Care of Your Yard –– Make sure to prune the bushes and trim the trees in your yard to prevent limbs and brush from being thrown around in the wind, which can potentially damage your home. In addition, have a plan to move your outdoor furniture indoors when a storm hits.
- Prepare for Flooding –– Flooding is one of the biggest causes of property damage during a hurricane. Protect your home from flooding by installing a sump pump in your basement to help with drainage. Check your yard before a storm to ensure the landscaping is allowing it to drain properly, and clean your gutters so they can work well during a storm.
- Properly Seal Your Home –– Before a storm comes, it’s crucial that your home’s foundation is secure and there are no gaps in the exterior, where water can easily seep in. You should also ensure that your roof deck has a waterproof seal.
- Know Your Emergency Protocol –– Read the pamphlet below to become familiar with your community’s emergency procedures and what you should do in the event of a hurricane in Jacksonville, NC or a surrounding area.
- Have an Emergency Plan –– Plan ahead for a hurricane by stocking an emergency kit with three days of food and water for each member of your family. You can also include things like prescription and over-the-counter medication, as well as important documents. Have a family meeting and discuss what you’ll do in the instance of a hurricane, so you can have an plan set in place.
If you have any questions about preparing for a hurricane or protecting your Onslow County property, give Century 21® Cherie Schulz Realty Firm a call at (910) 324-9977 or fill out our online contact form. We’ll do our best to make sure you’re ready for bad weather when it hits.
Century 21® Cherie Schulz Realty Firm offers award-winning real estate services in Jacksonville, Sneads Ferry, Richlands, Hubert, Beulaville, Cape Carteret, Hampstead, Holly Ridge, Pink Hill, Swansboro and Trenton, NC.